Head and Spinal Cord Injury 1915 (c) Waiver Renewal Application
The South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (SCDHHS) gives notice that it intends to file a five-year renewal application for the 1915(c) Home and Community Based (HCBS) Head and Spinal Cord Injury (HASCI [SC.0284]) waiver. The program is operated by the South Carolina Department of Disabilities and Special Needs (DDSN) and will be submitted to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). The proposed effective date of this waiver renewal is July 1, 2023.
Changes included in the proposed renewal are provided below:
- Appendix B-1 (b): Remove age limit
- Appendix B-3 (c): Increase reserve capacity for each risk category
- Appendix C: Collapse registered nurse (RN) and licensed practical nurse (LPN) services into one nursing service; revise provider qualifications and service description
- Appendix C: Update policy for reimbursement to family members
- Appendix E: Update participant direction opportunities
- Appendix J: Update cost neutrality demonstration and cost projections
Current waiver participants will not be adversely impacted.
The intent to renew the HASCI waiver with proposed changes was discussed on Jan. 25, 2023, during the monthly Indian Health Services conference call. Proposed changes will also be presented to SCDHHS’ Medical Care Advisory Committee (MCAC) meeting on Feb. 14, 2023, at 10 a.m. at 1801 Main St, Columbia, S.C.
Information regarding the HASCI waiver renewal and its proposed changes will be shared with the public during the following webinars:
HCBS Waiver Renewal
Tuesday, Feb. 14, 2 p.m.
Registration Link: https://scdhhs.webex.com/scdhhs/onstage/g.php?MTID=ef5cea95cc9b9c0252e68f896a9f50cf5
HCBS Waiver Renewal
Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2 p.m.
Registration Link: https://scdhhs.webex.com/scdhhs/onstage/g.php?MTID=ef389a2210e5cd286d8e57169e0d73472
Copies of this notice and the proposed HASCI waiver renewal are available for public review at the following locations:
- Electronic Access:
- SCDHHS website: www.scdhhs.gov (under “Public Notices” and “Waivers” sections)
- DDSN website: ddsn.sc.gov
- Family Connection of South Carolina website: www.familyconnectionsc.org
- South Carolina Developmental Disabilities Council website: www.scddc.state.sc.us
- Hard Copies:
- SCDHHS front lobby - 1801 Main Street, Columbia, SC 29201
- SCDHHS community long term care (CLTC) regional offices:
Orangeburg, SC 29118
Public Comments and Responses:
If you have a question or comment regarding this renewal action, please send it to the following mail or email address prior to March 1, 2023:
Mail: Attention: Michelle Abney
Office of Waivers and Facility Services
South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
P.O. Box 8206
Columbia, SC 29202-8206
Any written comments submitted may be reviewed by the public at SCDHHS, Bureau of Policy, 1801 Main St, Columbia, SC 29201 from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.