Public Notice of Final Action for Dental Services
The South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (SCDHHS) gives notice of the following actions regarding the Dental Services benefit and Medical and Surgical Services of a Dentist under the State Plan under Title XIX of the Social Security Act Medical Assistance Program (Medicaid).
Effective on or after July 1, 2021, SCDHHS will amend the South Carolina Title XIX State Plan to address the following updates:
- Dental Services
- Increase the annual maximum for the adult preventive dental benefit to $1,000 per state fiscal year;
- Clarify and update the language for the allowable dental services for eligible adult beneficiaries (in accordance with the Social Security Act, Sections 1905(a)(5)(B), 1902(a)(10)(A) and 42 CFR 440.50(b)); and,
- Clarify providers qualified to be reimbursed for delivering dental services.
- Medical and Surgical Services of a Dentist
- Define limitations and articulate reimbursement methodology and description for the allowable medical and surgical services for which a dentist may be reimbursed when delivered to eligible Medicaid beneficiaries (in accordance with the Social Security Act, Sections 1905(a)(5)(B), 1902(a)(10)(A) and 42 CFR 440.50(b)).
Based on the actions above, SCDHHS anticipates a budget impact of approximately $700,000 (total dollars) primarily due to adult beneficiaries' estimated expenditures beyond the previous $750 annual maximum benefit.
Copies of this notice are available at each South Carolina Healthy Connections Medicaid county office and at www.scdhhs.gov for public review. Additional information regarding these actions is available upon request at the address cited below.
Any written comments submitted may be reviewed by the public at the SCDHHS, Office of Health Programs, 1801 Main Street, Columbia, South Carolina, Monday through Friday between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.