Waiver Renewal for the Community Choices (CC) and HIV/AIDS Waivers
The South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (SCDHHS) gives notice that it intends to file waiver renewals with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) for the Community Choices (SC.0405) and HIV/AIDS (SC.0186) Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) waivers operated through the Division of Health Programs. The proposed effective date of these waivers is July 1, 2021.
The following is a summary of changes included in the proposed waiver amendment:
- Community Choices Waiver:
- Section C-1 (a):removal of Residential Personal Care II service. This service is described as “a service designed to enable waiver participants living in a Community Residential Care Facility (CRCF) to accomplish tasks that they would normally do for themselves if they did not have a disability.” There has been no utilization of this service, and the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) requires that a CRCF provide/coordinate a degree of personal care. In addition, individuals that reside in a CRCF and receive Optional State Supplement (OSS) services receive assistance with activities of daily living as part of the benefit.
- HIV/AIDS Waiver:
- Section C-1 (a): remove Prescription Drugs. This service is now provided under the State Plan authority.
- Section C-1 (c): modify services allowable in a CRCF to remove Private Duty Nursing.
- Both Waivers:
- Section B-6 (c): add licensed social workers to the list of qualified individuals capable of performing initial level of care evaluations.
- Section B-6 (h): add certified geriatric case managers and certified case managers to the list of qualified individuals capable of performing level of care re-evaluations.
- Section C-1 (a): modify service definitions to align with internal scopes of service and waivers across the agency. Update frequency of validating provider qualifications. Add taxonomy codes.
- Section C-1 (a): itemize waiver services (remove grouping) so that services are easily identified and federal reporting requirements are met.
- Section C-2 (b): add certified nurse aide registry information to the “Abuse Registry Screening” section.
- Section C-2 (c): modify the services allowable in a CRCF to remove Personal Care I and II and add nutritional supplements.
- Section G-1 (b): add “infectious disease outbreak” and “elopements” to the list of critical incidents.
Current waiver participants will not be adversely impacted.
On Dec. 8, 2020, these changes to the waivers were presented to the SCDHHS Medical Care Advisory Committee (MCAC) at 1801 Main Street, Columbia, SC 29201. On Jan. 27, 2021, these changes to the waivers were shared during the monthly Indian Health Service conference call.
In addition, information regarding the proposed changes in the renewals will be shared with the public during the following webinars:
Webinars: Community Choices and HIV/AIDS Waiver Renewal
Tuesday, March 9, 2021, 10 a.m.
Community Choices and HIV/AIDS Waiver Renewal
Monday, March 15, 2021, 2 p.m.
A copy of this notice and the Community Choices and HIV/AIDS waiver applications are available at the following locations:
- Electronic Access: www.scdhhs.gov (under “Public Notice” and “Waiver” sections)
- SCDHHS Central Office Lobby: 1801 Main Street, Columbia, SC, 29201
- SCDHHS Community Long Term Care Regional Offices:
Aiken CLTC Greenwood CLTC
2361 S. Centennial Avenue 617 South Main Street
Building 2, Suite B Greenwood, South Carolina 29646
Aiken, South Carolina 29803
Anderson CLTC Orangeburg CLTC
3215 Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard 191 Regional Parkway
Suite H Building A
Anderson, South Carolina 29625 Orangeburg, South Carolina 29118
Charleston CLTC Ridgeland CLTC
4130 Faber Place Drive, Suite 303 10175 South Jacob Smart Boulevard
North Charleston, South Carolina 29405 Ridgeland, South Carolina 29936
Columbia CLTC Rock Hill CLTC
300 Arbor Lake Drive, Suite 900 454 South Anderson Road, Suite 11
Columbia, South Carolina 29223 Rock Hill, South Carolina 29730
Conway CLTC Spartanburg CLTC
1201 Creel Street 101 North Pine Street, Suite 405
Conway, South Carolina 29527 Spartanburg, South Carolina 29302
Florence CLTC Sumter CLTC
2701 Alex Lee Boulevard, Suite 200 30 Wesmark Court
Florence, South Carolina 29506 Sumter, South Carolina 29150
620 North Main Street, Suite 300
Greenville, South Carolina 29601
Public Comments and Responses
If you have a question or comment, please send it to the following mail or email address prior to March 29, 2021:
Mail: Attention: Mark Collins
Division of Health Programs
South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
Post Office Box 8206
Columbia, SC 29202-8206
Any written comments submitted may be reviewed by the public at SCDHHS, Division of Health Programs, 1801 Main Street, Columbia, SC 29201 Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.