Medically Indigent Assistance Program (MIAP)
This Healthy Connections program sponsors inpatient hospital care for individuals meeting eligibility criteria.
A person who may qualify for the MIAP must:
- Be a South Carolina resident
- Be a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident Alien
Inmates or residents of other governmental institutions are not eligible.
Family income cannot exceed 200% of the Federal Poverty Level
Additionally, an applicant’s resources and assets cannot exceed the following thresholds:
Primary Residence (the home you live in)
- $35,000 limit on equity value
- A family farm of 50 acres or less on which the applicant or his family has lived for at least 25 years is excluded from resources.
- Equity interest in real property and taxable personal property (such as motor vehicles) cannot exceed a combined total value of $6,000
- Assets in cash cannot exceed $500
An applicant with excess liquid assets may establish eligibility by spending the family's excess liquid assets on valid debts such as rent/mortgage, utilities and medical expenses.
Individuals who are eligible will receive all Medicaid covered services.
Contact your hospital's Social Services Dept.