How home and community-based settings look in South Carolina will be guided by the requirements outlined in the HCBS Rule. Every home and community-based setting must meet the five overall requirements outlined in the HCBS Rule and listed below. SCDHHS will be working with providers as we move forward with the South Carolina HCBS Statewide Transition Plan to ensure settings meet these requirements. Providers need to be compliant with the new HCBS requirements to ensure the state's compliance by March 17, 2023.
Non-Residential Programs (facilities that provide day services, employment services, career preparation, community supports, or support services) should help individuals:
- Be integrated in and have access to the greater community.
- Have opportunities to seek employment and work in competitive integrated settings.
- Be engaged in community life.
- Control personal resources.
- Receive services in the community.
- Select a setting to receive services from among setting options; including non-disability specific settings.
- Be ensured of their right of privacy.
- Be ensured of their right of dignity.
- Be ensured of their right of respect.
- Be ensured of their right of freedom from coercion.
- Be ensured of their right of freedom from restraint.
- Optimize their individual initiative.
- Optimize their autonomy.
- Optimize their independence in life choices, including but not limited to: Choice in daily activities; Choice in physical environment; Choice with whom to interact.
- Have individual choice regarding services and supports.
- Have individual choice regarding service provider.
Non-residential program providers completed the C4 Self-Assessment. View the ideal answers and global responses from the assessment.
- Resources for Non-residential Providers
- SCDDSN HCBS Implementation
- CMS: FAQs on Participants who Wander/Exit-Seek
- U.S. Dept. of Labor Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP): Provider Transformation Webinar Series Overview
- Employment First resources
- D.C. Department on Disability Services: